Do you ever make new year’s resolutions? Do you ever keep them or stick to them? We all know January is the hay day for the gyms and health and fitness clubs. People sign up for a membership and already feel better about themselves. My January is always time to improve on my fitness, but I long since gave up on expensive gym memberships, as there is not much I can’t do with some hand weights at home, my own body weight and my own two feet and some fresh air.
But even more so, I always use the opportunity to reassess my goals, set new ones and take on the new year with determination. We all think we will not hold on to our New Year resolutions and its a silly to make them in the first place, but why not use the opportunity to your advantage? It is a great divider, a great excuse for a fresh start.
Here is some of my New Year’s resolutions, some of them more personal nature, some more career oriented. I am sharing my list here for two reasons. One is to give me an a use to write it down and make them public, which makes it harder for me to ignore them. The second reason is to show you what my list looks like and maybe it will give you some idea to work on your list. So here we go.
1. 52 Songs. Continue with last years challenge and write and release another 52 songs in 2015.
2. Clean up Email Clean up and focus my Email subscriptions and notifications. I believe this will make me more productive in 2015.
3. Go for a long walk minimum three times a week. I used to run, but suffered from a stress fracture. If I was to set up my goal for running, I might aggravate it again and set myself fail. I believe it is better to set realistic goals rather than set yourself to fail. This does not mean you should not push yourself 😉
4. Blog minimum 6 days a week. This is something I have done since the end of June 2014. Now I want to complete a full year 🙂
5. Read more. Dedicate time every day for reading. I like to read, but it seems I just won’t allow enough time for it.
6. Work on my fingerpicking on the guitar. I made great leaps on it in 2014, so I need to push myself further on this in 2015
7. Learn the basics of PHP. I am ok with HTML and this has been a great help for me in the past. Now I use WordPress almost exclusively on my websites and knowing the basics of PHP would be beneficial.
8. Learn a new language well enough to communicate. This is something I’ve been putting off for the past few years… Time to get working on it 🙂
9. Perform more solo shows. Self explanatory and will be done 😉
10. Be a better person. This is an ongoing thing. I believe if we want to make the world a better place we need to start from within us
So there is my list. What’s on your list? Write it down, make it public and see what happens. Happy New Year everyone!
The author J.P. Kallio is a singer songwriter
To get three of his free songs go HERE and click Download